GARRISON MILL SPIRIT ROCK
The purpose of the Garrison Mill Spirit Rock is to share kind, positive messages that promote school spirit. Parents, caregivers, students, and staff can “Rent the Rock,” grab some paint, and then use their creativity to recognize a student’s birthday, thank or recognize a teacher or staff member, mark congratulatory events, and show school spirit (of course!), etc. It’s also a great way to get our community excited about our school! 100% of the funds raised through the Spirit Rock will be used by the PTA to benefit 5th grade and other programs.
Below are some FAQs about the Spirit Rock. If you have any further questions, please contact the PTA Board at email@example.com. Please do not contact the school’s front office with questions.
HOW CAN I PAINT THE ROCK?
- First, reserve a date for painting the Spirit Rock
Reservations MUST be made prior to submitting payment in order to paint the Spirit Rock.
- Second, pay for your rock rental online only (no cash or checks) here: Garrison Mill Spirit Rock Store
*Payment is not refundable and must be received within 2 business days of signing up or your signup date will be forfeited.
Frequently Asked questions
- HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
It is $15 per rental for 24 hrs (on the date of your choice, if available).
Once reserved, you will have the rock for 24 hours beginning after 4 PM the day before. For example, if you reserve the rock for December 1st, you may paint the rock after 4 PM on November 30th. The next person may start painting at 4 PM on December 1 and so on.
- WHAT SUPPLIES DO I NEED?
You will need a tarp to cover the ground around the rock; about 2-3 cans of spray paint for the base coat and additional paint for your design. See more info in the Tips & Tricks section below.
- WHAT CAN I RESERVE THE ROCK FOR?
You can reserve the rock for anything! The rock is a fun way to spread any kind of positive message. A student’s birthday, thank a teacher or staff member, good luck on competitions and tournaments, recognize milestones… Profanity and political messages are not permitted!
- WHAT IF AFTER I PAINT THE ROCK SOMEONE LATER REPLACES IT WITH PROFANITY? AM I GOING TO BE RESPONSIBLE?
Once you’re done painting, snap a photo of your design. If the unfortunate happens, the PTA Board will take care of the matter.
- WHAT IF I RESERVE THE ROCK AND THE WEATHER IS BAD?
The rock can be towel dried and the paint will adhere even in the rain and or snow. You can also place a tent over the rock while you paint. If painting in the rain or snow is not your thing, revisit the calendar and pick the next available date.
- CAN THE GMPTA PAINT THE ROCK FOR ME?
GMPTA is not responsible for painting the rock. You can find someone to paint it for you, but painting the rock is fun, and we are sure that no matter what you do, the person you are painting it for will love it.
- WHAT IF THE ROCK IS ALREADY RESERVED FOR THE DATE I WANT?
Rock reservations are on a first-come, first-served basis so make your reservations NOW! If the date you want is already reserved, choose the next available date, either before or after.
- WHAT IF I’M PAINTING THE ROCK AND SOMEONE SHOWS UP THINKING THEY RESERVED IT?
If this happens, please contact the PTA Board at firstname.lastname@example.org.
GARRISON MILL SPIRIT ROCK GUIDELINES
The GM Spirit Rock runs on the Honor Code with the hopes that everyone will respect the following guidelines.
- By reserving a date to paint the rock, you agree to adhere to the guidelines.
- Reserve the Rock before you pay (see SignUp Genius links above under #1. How can I paint the Rock for dates)
- Only one person per day may reserve the Spirit Rock. Reservations must be made by a parent or teacher on behalf of a student(s).
- Reminders for reservations will not be sent by the PTA. If you reserved the rock, but can’t remember the date you reserved, search for the SignUp Genius email confirmation.
- Pay for your rental after reserving a date: Garrison Mill Spirit Rock Store
- All payments and reservations are non-refundable for any reason (changed your mind, inclement weather, etc). However, if you decide you do not want your date, you can offer it to a friend or sell it to another family—you must update this information on the SignUp Genius.
- GMPTA reserves the right to block dates for its use.
- The area around the Spirit Rock must be left neat and tidy and paint-free. Only the rock may be painted. DO NOT paint the grass or any other material surrounding the rock. Please use a tarp or other covering to protect the ground around the rock. The individual or group will be held financially responsible for cleaning and/or repair costs associated with the violation of this policy. Anyone painting the rock must leave the area in clean condition.
- NO GLITTER PLEASE
- NO STICKERS PLEASE
- NO profane words, symbols, or any derogatory or offensive messages, no advertising for commercial purposes, no political messages will be permitted on the GM Spirit Rock. GMPTA reserves the right to remove any content, message, or language from the GM Spirit Rock that is deemed inappropriate.
- Remove all paint materials and litter from the site and be sure the paint is disposed of properly.
- The family painting the rock assumes liability for any individual or member of the group who may be injured, or who may incur clothing or other personal property damage.
- All rules as outlined in the CCSD Code of Student Conduct MUST be obeyed. No exceptions.
SPIRIT ROCK TIPS & TRICKS
- Wear old clothes!
- Supplies you will need (PTA does not provide them):
- Please use a tarp or other covering to protect the ground around the rock.
- Spray Paint. You will need about 2-3 cans for a good base coat (more if your base coat is white). Premium spray paint works best (Rustoleum, etc) vs. a generic store brand. Please note that latex paint and paint that is rolled on will take several hours to dry, as opposed to spray paint, which dries in several minutes. The quantity needed will depend upon the color you are using, the color already painted on the rock, and weather conditions. Spray paint your large areas. If you mess up, use your base coat color to fix the mistake.
- Once you have the base coat done, use chalk to sketch out your design. Try to do large shapes so that it’s easy to see from the road and so that you can use spray paint for most of it. Stand back from the rock to make sure you can see the design from there.
- Sharpie Paint Pens, Paintbrushes, and a cup of water. For more detailed areas, use a paint pen, a can/tube of paint, and a paintbrush. While outdoor latex is best, regular artists' acrylic seems to work well too (even in rain).
- Other supplies: Craft paint, foam brushes, and stencils work great for more intricate designs
- Paper towels to wipe any drips.
- Rubber gloves to help keep your hands clean.
- Have fun and send your photos to GMPTA email@example.com so we can post on social media or tag GMPTA on Facebook and Instagram #GMEspiritrock!
- Please be kind to our environment and recycle your empty cans!
After School Program Information
- Monday, April 3
- Tuesday, April 4
- Wednesday, April 5
- Thursday, April 6
- Friday, April 7
- Wednesday, April 12
- Thursday, April 13